Tuesday 13 August 2013

Pick Your Own: Raspberry Cake

Mid- August is late for me. Normally I'm one of the first to go 'Pick Your Own', strawberries and raspberries in particular. With a couple punnets of strawberries already in the fridge leftover from summer picnics, the addition of raspberries was a welcome treat. I ate so many raspberries whilst picking my own, I don't think I could have faced another fresh raspberry for a while. So what best to do with the few that made it home? Bake! 



I had seen a blueberry tray bake on James Martin's United Cakes of America which looked delicious.. until he fried it. Yuck. Heart attack on a plate? I'm sure its delicious but a slice of that is probably equal in calories to three non- fried pieces... I'll go for three! 

The sponge is a standard sponge mix:
250g butter, caster sugar, and self raising flour
4 Eggs

That's it. James Martin used 250g of blueberries, I think to keep the numbers simple, but I only used around 150g on raspberries and I think the ratio was perfect.

Pour into a greased tray and bake for 30-35 minutes on 180C/160C fan.

When cool, cut into squares, spring with icing sugar and serve. A scoop of vanilla ice cream would go great!


1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness. Amazing! However, fried cake really does sound disgusting so I'm glad you didn't fry it, lol xxx

    ReplyDelete