Monday 25 February 2013

DIY Tutorial: Cut Off Lace Denim Shorts

 
DIY TUTORIAL


Cut Off Lace Denim Shorts




I am SO excited to wear these on my summer holiday this year! 
I have recently discovered so many old pairs of jeans at the back of my wardrobe and knew something had to be done other than just giving them away as they are really comfy to wear!
Firstly, measure your jeans at least 1 1/2" away from the crotch- you don't want them too short! As these were quite slouchy jeans I decided I wanted to keep the "boyfriend" style and make them longer than I would normally wear.  Mark across the jeans, using pins if you have them, checking both legs are even. Then cut!

I would suggest fraying the edges slightly- either use a butter knife or a seam picker to pull the threads ever so slightly as seen below:


Cut enough lace trim to cover around one leg completely with an extra half an inch on the end. Pin this onto the bottom of your shorts: it is up to you how much lace you want overhanging the shorts as seen below:


Then stitch just inside the lace with a straight stitch all the way around the leg.
Repeat all of the above on Leg Two.

I decided to add a lace pocket on the back of the jeans for continuity. Cut some excess lace using the back pocket as a guideline on size. Pin this lace on to the pocket- make sure to just pin it to the pocket and not the entire back leg otherwise you will sew your pocket shut. 

I used a sewing machine to sew the left, bottom, and right edges and then hand finished across the top of the lace as the gap wasn't big enough to allow my sewing machine access.

Here is the finished result! [I will replace the picture with a better one but my craft room has terrible lighting in the evening]. Look back at the top of this post to see the shorts close up on the front and back!

No comments:

Post a Comment