Sunday 25 August 2013

Brunette to Red Head: Hair Colour

I regularly experiment with hair colourant. Experiment may not be the right word as this suggests an element of the unknown; although using chemicals in your hair could make anything happen (!) I always tend to keep my colour choices safe. Blonde, blonde highlights, Light Brown, Chocolate Brown, Darkest Brown, Plum, Black. Notice what is missing? Red.

I have always been scared of going red; it is a very very difficult colour to get away from if you decide you don't like it. The colour pigments are not easily covered with any other colour, except black. I have always loved all shades of red hair; from vibrant ginger, to volcano red, to dark mahogany. 

Yesterday, I spontaneously took the plunge:

My hair before was your typical tired looking brunette. I had recently had a few hidden blonde highlights put into my layers underneath but the impact was so minimal they may as well have not been there. They did add an extra dimension.. but not enough.


And now a soft, autumnal, and much warmer tone of red:

Let me know what you think!

*I used Clairol Extreme Nice 'n Easy Ruby Red hair dye 5RR. The dye was a bright orange (scary!) and had tendency to drip, but I absolutely love the colour result. I couldn't find anything else in this tone on the market; it was either much brighter or had plum tones. The model's hair on the front of the box is a shade lighter than mine, but I did have dark brown hair to begin with it. The box advises best results blonde-medium brown.

No comments:

Post a Comment