Sunday 22 September 2013

Meet Duke: Our 9 Week Old Kitten

A moment of weakness, a moment of madness, and a moment of pure love. 
That was the moment we saw Duke.



Mr D was handed Duke (named Bruiser originally) and that was it, we agreed to pick him up Friday. 

 Growing up I was adament a pet was the answer to happiness; I campaigned for Ferrets, upsold the benefits of a horse, and very nearly tricked my mum into buying a Bernese Mountain Dog (those wide-eyed puppy pictures will melt any non-pet lovers hearts!) Prior to buying our house we lived with Dean's parents who had an elderly gentleman cat named Ralph who we both absolutely adored. 
In no way whatsoever did this prepare us for Duke.

Please don't get me wrong; this wasn't a rushed decision. For weeks I have been testing the water on getting a cat in our new home. I've showed Mr D many a kitten for sale, and even tried to make him believe I had brought one home the day he was due home late from work. I was surprised he hadn't given in; normally he is the impulse buyer and I am the "but do we really need that?" And "definitely not at that price!" Yet look at the smile with the laden trolly...


The first night was an incredible success; no noise, Duke went to bed when we did and slept through, and the cat litter was used. Second night... Hmmm, not so great. Toiletting accidents on Mr D's pyjamas, on the bed (!), and on the front door mat. Duke decided the cat litter type just wasn't right, so we replaced it and put the litter box in the place he kept looking for it and (touch wood) all is well so far! 
He very kindly meows at us when he needs it, so we pick him up and put him in it, just for the first few days to remind him where it is.

We never expected we could love Duke as much as we do. He plays until his heart is content, he loves the TV, and just wants to sit near us even if we don't give him attention. After an exhausting week at work, I found myself falling asleep on the sofa on Sunday afternoon; Duke was asleep in another room. Next thing I know, I've woken up as Duke scrambles over my legs to curl up as close as he can..


He does leave to sleep in the strangest of positions!



And despite the fact he is absolutely petrified of his own reflection we love him with all our heart


Eyeing up my cheesecake!! 

No comments:

Post a Comment